Wednesday, March 8, 2017

REVIEW: Chan Ka-bo Countertenor Recital

Nan Lian Garden, Saturday March 4

I wanted the Baroque repertoire in the afternoon, but it was sold out; thus I ended up going to the relatively newer music of Schubert, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Pärt in the evening. The recital was 1 hour in length and Chan was accompanied by Kristo Käo with his Torres guitar. The concert was set in a small hall in the classical Chinese Nan Lian Garden.


I have a very mixed feeling about the recital. I went to the recital with preconceptions of what is the suitable repertoire for countertenors and how a countertenor should sound. Needless to say, my ears are attuned to the repertoire and sound of the likes of Andreas Scholl, David Daniels, Philippe Jaroussky, Michael Chance and Bejun Mehta, all of whom I have heard live and sang early music.



Countertenors have entertained "newer" music before. The ones that I really enjoyed is David Daniel's album Berlioz: Les Nuits D'ete and A Quiet Thing. And despite the transition from early music to 20th century music, most of the countertenors would retain the same lyrical tone. The one thing I noticed in Chan's rendition of the "newer" music was his voice was dramatic. In fact, so dramatic and big that I think the guitar and venue was a tad too lyrical and small for him. I truly wonder how he sounded like in the afternoon repertoire of early music.

Because of his voice quality, I enjoyed his rendition of Brahms and Pärt's works more than the Schubert and Mendelssohns. Overall, the recital was an important one for me. Wanting to go to the afternoon concert was a lazy choice; and I am glad that I went to the evening one as there shouldn't be any reason why countertenors should not sing music by Schubert, Mendelssohn or Brahms. The problem was mine.

_________

Schubert
Ave Maria, Ständchen, Danksagung an den Bach

Pärt
Vater Unser

Mendelssohn
Altdeutschelied, Nachtlied

Brahms
Wiegenlied

and songs and guitar music of Estonian composers including Kapp, Sink, Jõeleht and Eespere

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home